now living in South Carolina
Favorite Stanford Memories
- Bringing a keg into the stadium to watch John Elway play football
- Todd's shortcut to a party at Roble, ending with a splash
- Midnight Mass before Christmas break
- The Patio Grill: young entrepreneurs find a way to succeed only to be undone when a photo in the SJ Mercury News prompts unfair competition complaints from Casa de Fruta
- John McCarthy's seminars
Major: Electrical Engineering
Residences: Donner, Mirrielees, Newman Center (off campus), Adelfa
Student Activities: Hasher, Newman Center (Catholics), B.Baggins@LOTS
Life after Stanford
- Places: Menlo Park; Mountain View; Sunnyvale; Calabash, NC; Evans, GA (near Augusta); and Mount Vintage Plantation near North Augusta, SC.
- Married Lisa in 1994. She's originally from England, has a Master's degree from Oxford (1982), formerly an accountant, now a landscape designer and horticulturalist, also mummy to two wonderful dogs.
- No kids, several dogs who are truly members of the family: Bertie (Basset Hound) 1994-2006, Heidi (Belgian Malinois) 1997-present, and Cleo (Great Dane) 2006-present.
- Software jobs: SRI International, Xerox PARC, Institute for Research on Learning, Price-Waterhouse, ParcPlace, Apple and Janus Research Group.
- My mother thinks I invented the iPod, which is not strictly true, but it's a good story to tell at parties.
- Volunteer firefighter in Calabash (2004 - 2006)
- Volleyball: My volleyball highlight was playing with Olympic Gold Medalist Eric Fonoimoana on the beach at Turks (see picture). I played in the IVL rec leagues for many years in the Bay Area. I'm now the oldest guy in the gym in my Augusta league.
- Golf: I'm a duffer, but I'll keep at it. As P.G. Wodehouse says, "Sudden success in golf is like the sudden acquisition of wealth. It is apt to unsettle and deteriorate the character." I had the good fortune to attend a practice round at the Masters last year.
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'-- Ronald Reagan
Bertie and me at 3:00 AM 1994
Firefighter gear 2004
Beach Volleyball with the Pros 2003
Steve, Cleo, Lisa and Heidi 2008